3.17.2007

It has been far too long

Writing a blog entry after watching a good “romantic comedy” will surely effect its content (I just finished watching The Holiday. Jack Black definitely added a great deal to the movie. I think I will sing more often while renting movies). But, I think I will anyway.

I have not written on this thing in a very long time, as I’m sure you have noticed. I apologize. I was in no way trying to show disregard for you, faithful reader. Many things have happened since we last met. Although you may think Can You Say Indie? Volume 2 was the latest highlight from my lack of writing, it surely could not compare to Jamaica. I left for Jamaica almost one month ago, it seems like it was just last week. I still think I am recuperating from Jamaica time, but in a good way. Actually, I have been getting up earlier and going to bed earlier since getting back from Jamaica. It has been a good thing; I don’t find it too difficult to endure the ridicule from my friends when I get tired at 10. Jamaica was an amazing experience. I absolutely loved the kids in Jamaica. We spent most of our time there just one-on-one with them. I am convinced that it was the best way to influence their lives and was most changed by the time I spent with them. The world seems like a smaller place now. I like it.

I feel like I might do the trip injustice to give you a quick overview, and I fear writing it all in a blog entry would take far too long and no one would read it. But, that’s how it should be. I just wrote that one-on-one time was huge to me in Jamaica, why would that change now that I am here? So, feel free to ask me out for coffee to hear about my experience because you just wouldn’t feel the impact if I only wrote it down here. You wouldn’t see me display the actions we did singing “Walk all over you.” You wouldn’t watch my eyes start to tear up as I remember how amazing of a friend Kevin was. You wouldn’t hear my poor attempt at a Jamaican accent or the pause as I searched for the words to describe the Joy displayed by Cynthia. Yeah, it was an amazing experience.

learned so many things from my time surrounding Jamaica. The most significant thing that I brought home was an emphasis on prayer. Really, I just started to pray more when I was there. It just made sense. I mean, there we were, going from seemingly unconnected place to place singing songs, giving testimonies and hanging out. As we would drive away, I wondered if we really made an impact. Then God would assure me that I made absolutely zero impact on anyone. He was the one who did it all. That was humbling and reassuring at the same time. I learnt what it meant to boast in my weakness. My brother and I were talking the other night and he explained the importance of changing lives as opposed to imparting knowledge. I agree, and I realize that I have no hope of making a change in someone’s life if God is not a part of it. The only way that I can assure that God is involved is to pray. So I have learned that I need to pray more. I need to pray a lot. Really, I need to pray constantly; you know, without ceasing. I think I heard that somewhere once…

I am getting tired, and it is only 11. (Or, from my perspective, it is 11?! Why have I not fallen asleep yet?) There is so much more to say. I haven’t even started to tell you about the amazing times I have had with Von. I changed Von’s diaper for the first time yesterday. I’m glad it contained no surprises. Anyways, you might have to just check back later. This is all you are going to get today.

P.S. Happy St. Patrick's Day! I hope you wore green and were proud of it. The world could use more colour themed holidays. Let's see... April Fool's Day is the next holiday in Canada... we should all wear a certain colour... or stripes! That seems to be more "foolish" than any one colour. The most colourful stripes win. Yeah, that sounds just about right.

2 comments:

It had been far too long. I love hearing Jamaica stories; getting to know the beautiful people there vicariously through you guys, and seeing how God worked in and through all of you (during that time and since then) really is a blessing. People’s varied perspectives on the time they spent there, and what they took home with them, make it so clear that we serve such a personal God. I’m glad that you guys are willing to share your memories and thoughts with the rest of us, even certain songs involving aggressive dance moves.

On an unrelated note, for the purpose of clarifying the ridicule of your recent sleepiness at pre-midnight hours, you’re not just tired at 10 now; you've fallen asleep on couches before we’ve dispersed after C&C events. This is awfully analogous to symptoms of narcolepsy. Plus, your snoring exacerbates the ease with which you can be ridiculed, and allows Matt C. to pounce on you much more stealthily. Crystal and I are going to draw a moustache on you sometime soon during your momentary snoozing, and if we use permanent marker, you could look pretty awesome standing in your prayer team spot the subsequent Sunday morning.

P.S. I’m pretty sure that changing diapers gives you bonus points in unclehood.
P.P.S. You missed out on green beer and green food and Irish drinking songs last night, but The Holiday and family could probably top that. I certainly concur that Jack Black was rather excellent in the movie, but Jude Law had mega-cool glasses, created a wonderful tent for his daughters, and was Mr. Napkinhead. Plus, cute elderly men and Kate Winslet always make movies better. It was pretty much an ideally sappy romcom.
P.P.P.S. Could we please wear colourful stripes for April Fool’s? A non-participant in stripes shenanigans would have to judge who had the gaudiest stripes. I have loads of leftover face paint, too, which people could foolify (that sounds really creepy) themselves with. After all, you clearly were very fond of the face paint.

Hey Matt!
Not sure if you remember who I am, but I thought I'd write anyways. I would love to have a coffee and hear all about your trip, but Edmonton's a little far away. I know many people who have been on missions trips and every one of them says it has absolutely changed the person that they are. It sounds like the same is true for you - I can't wait till I have the opportunity to make a trip of my own.
On the subject of prayer, I recently heard a fabulous sermon about the importance of constant and meaningful prayer. How if we truely desire to have an intimate relationship with God, we have to be praying at all times about all things. It was very encouraging. The pastor also said that sometimes it can be hard to know what to say or talk about so it can be helpful to pray the Bible. Pray the Psalms; read them allowed to Him and then reflect on how they made you feel. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounded like a great idea. I just thought maybe you could give that a try too.
Anyways, hope life in Edmonton is going well. I heard from your grandparents (Dickau) a few weeks ago and they said they had been installing Mike's vanity. The renovations must be coming together.
Many Blessings!
Andrea Evans