1.15.2007

Two things...


... that I wanted to throw up here. If you are wondering how my trip to Detroit to surprise Steve and Lori went you can check out the last post on Mike's blog here (also has a link to the video of us doing the "surprising"). School is good so far, my parents and brother will be moving into the Sherwood Park house this weekend and I can't wait for the C&C Winter Retreat. As for those two things...

One: My very short article for The C&C Courier for those of you who will be unable to check it out (at least I think that is what it is called, I have yet to see it).


And you thought the Bible was serious…

I’ve heard people say that they imagine Jesus hung out with the disciples like everyone else, telling jokes, pulling pranks and laughing. I’ve heard people say that God has a sense of humour, just look at the Platypus. Sometimes these statements are followed by that person wondering why there are no jokes in the Bible itself. I would say the Bible has lots of humour, you just have to look for it. Take Jonah for example. When is the last time you read it? It’s really not that long, and really a great story. And yes, I realize that using “story” makes you think fiction, yet to me it loses nothing from that interpretation. But, I digress. Jonah is a book of incredible extremes. Jonah sleeps during a storm crazy enough to make the mariners throw their cargo overboard, Jonah lived in the belly of a fish for three days and nights, Jonah gets vomited up, everyone in Nineveh repented, from King to cattle, and Jonah proclaims he would rather die when he sees God display mercy. It is quite the list. I read it and think, Jonah, are you serious? He seems slightly melodramatic. I’m comforted that God still has mercy on us when we are crazy, irrational and completely stubborn. So, next time you read something that strikes you as funny in the Bible, don’t be afraid to laugh, I’m sure God will join you.



Two: Before Christmas I compiled a mix cd from a bunch of indie music that I downloaded. It is just some songs that I liked from artists that I (mostly) haven’t heard of before. Check it out; expand your musical horizons and all that. It got a rave review from a friend (six out of five solar panels on David Suzuki’s scale of awesomeness!).

Can You Say Indie? Volume 1

1. Loop Duplicate My Heart – Suburban Kids with Biblical Names
2. Nothing in My Way – Keane
3. Oh Lately it’s so Quiet ¬– OK Go
4. Ooh La – The Kooks
5. Rainbow in the Dark – Tilly & The Wall
6. Live and Learn – House of Fools
7. Hoppipolla (Acoustic) – We Are Scientists
8. Swisha – Ratatat
9. The Sun Goes Down on Manor Road – The Wonder Stuff
10. Thinking of You – Molly Jenson
11. Take a Chance – The Magic Numbers
12. Whistle for the Choir – The Fratellis
13. Continents and Constellations – Sleep The Season
14. Do it Again Again – The Tyde
15. Gravitys Rainbow – Klaxons
16. I Wish That I Could See You Soon – Herman Dune
17. Get Behind Me, Santa – Sufjan Stevens
18. Just Stay – Kevin Devine
19. Imaginary Girl – The Bees
20. Welcome Home, Son – Radical Face

If you don't have any moral qualms with acquiring music without paying for it then I could be persuaded to burn you a copy of it. Can You Say Indie? Volume 2 should be coming out soon as well... Oh, and I should mention that some songs require you to dance while listening to them. Don't worry, it doesn't have to be anything major, but they can only be fully enjoyed while moving your body to the music.

0 comments: